Monday, July 30, 2012

Pearl Lover Review

Rating: 3.5/5

Title: Pearl Lover

Author: Kea Noli

Page Count (ebook): 176

Page Count (paperback): 275

Official Amazon Description


Pearl Lover    A beautiful girl. A wicked mother. A twisted love triangle.

    In this thrilling romance, Nixie Veidt is forced to choose between money and love. She must stay faithful to the bureaucrat she married to save her inheritance, but her love belongs to a Russian dancer. When she hires the dancer for her company, she puts it all on the line. Will she lose everything? Or does love really conquer all?

     Is it moral to love two men? Be prepared for an unconventional ending (extended description)



My Thoughts


     I'll have to admit in the beginning I definitley struggled with how to rate this book and I can't say I had made any more of a definitive decision by the end of the book. So, finally I decided that instead of struggling any longer with whether I should rate it a three or a four, I would just settle on three and a half.

     Pearl Lover was a unique reading experience; and not in a bad way. In Pearl Lover Noli proved that she is very good at enticing the reader. Similar to Kolya continually offering love just when Nixie thinks they are over, in her book Noli kept offering intriguing details about the triangular romance between Kolya, Morten and Nixie, that made it impossible for me to put the book down. One of the reasons I liked Pear Lover so much was because of these intriguing details, that were purposefully thrown in here and there; I just had to keep reading to find out who she would choose Morten or Kolya! And then there is that cover, I mean what is not to love about it!? The far off look in her eyes, the stark contrast between the hat and the backdrop and of course, the pearls! In my opinion this cover gets an A+.

    Unlike most of the other books I have read Pearl Lover continually alters between multiple perspectives. In the beginning of the book the story is told from Nixie's perspective in addition to Morten's and Voclain's (a friend of Nixie's father) perspectives, but as the story progresses it is mainly told through Nixie's and Kolya's perspective. Personally, I found that due to the continual switching between characters, the first forty five pages of the book were immensley confusing. For some reason after that, things started to make sense, whether that was due to the less frequent changes in perspective or the fact that I just got used to Noli's writing style (a writing style which I have now grown quite fond of) I'm still not quite sure. I would have definitley rated Pearl Lover higher had it focused upon one or two characters rather than multiple characters, because I find that I connect better with characters when there are fewer perspectives. I felt by the end as if I still didn't really quite understand some of the characters, this could have quite possibly been the author's intent, but regardless it has left me a bit confused. Overall, I would recommend Pearl Lover to anyone who likes to read novels which are told from multiple perspectives, while dealing with a variety of very real issues that artists face on a day to day basis.

If you want to read a further discussion of this book cover, and about what my readers thought made a book cover great click here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pearl Lover (Amazon Kindle)
Goodreads


2 comments:

  1. Nice review! and same thing happened to me (about what the rate should be)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Leaving a Comment; I absolutely love to hear from my readers!