Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Highlight Poetry (#2)

highlight poetry


Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening


Robert Frost
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

 

A Brief Commentary


     This is perhaps one of Robert Frost's most famous poems and one of my absolute personal favourites; regardless of what season I'm in. Frost amplifies the romanticism of winter in this poem bringing to mind imagery of snowy forests, farmhouses covered in snow, frozen lakes collecting each crystal snowflake, all the while carrying the deeper undertones of the weary traveller. You can truly feel the traveller's desire to give into the temptations of sleep and even death as he gazes out at the "lovely, dark, and deep" woods. The desire to be free of worry and drift among the falling snowflakes is palpable as is his weary realization that he still has a great literal and metaphorical distance to go before he reaches the peace of sleep and death.

    In your opinion what do you feel Frost is trying to communicate in this poem? What imagery does it bring to your mind?



5 comments:

  1. I think it's wanting to find that moment to enjoy what is around in spite of all the hustle and bustle of everyday life and the responsibilties of living..."And miles to go before I sleep."
    I do love Robert Frost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Robert Frost is an excellent poet! I hadn't really thought about it as waiting to find a moment to enjoy life amidst the hustle and bustle; I always thought he was searching for peace of sleep or death. Its always so interesting to read different people interpretations of poems!

      Delete
  2. How funny, the poem I posted last week Alisa had to memorize to read in her English class and this is poem I had to memorize to read in my class, back in jr. high. One of my favorites too, and I agree with Alisa and your reading of it's meaning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Leaving a Comment; I absolutely love to hear from my readers!