Thursday, August 23, 2012

Dragon Dreams ~ Review


Rating: 4.5/5

Title: Dragon Dreams

Author:Dusty Lynn Holloway

Page Count (ebook): 229

 

Official Description

In my shadow you sleep, hungry for my soul.
In my heart you live, nurtured and at peace.
In my life you belong, always.
The red dawn of war clashes with the tide. Black descends. Shadows come alive.
I call to you. I see you across the field of battle, calling to me. So many stand between us.
I turn away to the tide; the tide sweeps forward, surging, billowing, covering.
I raise my hand and stare at the sky above. Silence descends. A hush. Tears fall down. Liquid, they fall down my face, down my grimy cheeks, onto my bloodstained clothes.
I raise my other hand. A burst of time shoots forward, galloping like my heart as I wait for the final blow . . . but it never comes. I’ve frozen the moment in time as the blade meant for my heart pierces his. The sobs choke my chest as I stare at the metal, gleaming red like the rising sun, sticking from his chest. His eyes are frozen as well, locked onto mine.
They look unsurprised.
I sink down to my knees; tears fall harder. I hear your voice. A shout, a scream of pain and anger and despair and fear from across the field.
I don’t turn. I look straight ahead to the eyes that are locked onto mine as I bring both of my hands down in a gesture as sharp as the blade. Light explodes outward from me, shooting across the battlefield, consuming everything.
I fall. He falls too.
His eyes speak the things he cannot say. They close after a minute, but mine stay open.
You reach me then. Everyone else is flattened, reeling on the blood-soaked earth, but you reach me. You turn me face up. You gather me in your arms. You weep, but my eyes are dry now. My eyes are dry.
“It will be alright,” I whisper to you. “It will be alright.”

 

My Thoughts


         It's been a while since I've read a fantasy novel that centered around dragons, humans and elves. And let me tell you, this was most certainly worth the wait! Dragon Dreams is simply enchanting, I mean the work alone that went into creating such a marvelous kingdom is astounding. The novel flows effortlessly through the different realms of the kingdom and leaves you wanting more the moment you set the book down. I found myself eagerly wondering what was going to happen next every time I walked away from Dragon Dreams. This book is perfect if you are looking to escape into an entirely different world.

     This story is told from the perspectives of Auri and Nachal, two separate beings who are indefinitley intertwined through the name-sake of the book 'Dragon Dreams'. I have to pause a moment to highlight 'Dragon Dreams' in the sense they are used in the book, not in the sense of the title. I'm pausing to highlight these, because in my opinion it is worth taking the time to read this book, just to experience a  'Dragon Dream'. When Holloway starts in on a 'Dragon Dream', its as if the rest of the outside world fades away; you and the book are the only things left.

     On a more technical note I have to commend Holloway on the fact that there were no typos in this book. I'm always so pleased when I read a self-published book with no typos that I can't not mention the phenom of it. Also, can I just say that the cover of this book is awesome! So, what are you waiting for? Go pick up a copy yourself!

Links:

Amazon (ebook)

Amazon (paperback)

Createspace (paperback)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Leaving a Comment; I absolutely love to hear from my readers!